It was a three dishwasher load Thanksgiving. Totally worth it though. Some highlights:
- Potato fennel gratin – same recipe I’ve made for the past five years. Still a winner.
- Cornbread and herb stuffing – this could be improved. I cobble together about 4 recipes and it’s not everything it could be.
- Piquant cranberry sauce – this was not the hit I was hoping it would be. It wasn’t bad, but I think it will be better as a spread for a turkey sandwich tomorrow.
- Bourbon cranberry sauce – WOW. I should have doubled this recipe. You combine cranberries and sugar and you bake it. Then when it’s done, you add bourbon and fresh squeezed orange juice. All kinds of awesome.
- Green beans with pine nuts and lemon zest – my one legitimately healthy dish.
- Onion gravy – I made this ahead of time and it worked out beautifully. I ran it through the food processor after to get rid of the chunks of onions.
- Brined and then roasted turkey. It was falling off the bone, it was so good. Here’s what I used for the brine:
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups hot water
1 1/2 cups coarse or Kosher salt
1-2 gallons cold water
2 teaspoons peppercorns
4 bay leaves
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup chablis or chardonnay (dry white wine)
Recipe taken from this site.