- Shrimp (bit boring, but so little prep that I continue to do them every Christmas)
- Deviled eggs
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Turkey summer sausage and homemade mustard (more on that in the next blog post)
- Brie with walnuts, brown sugar, and rum
- Lasagna roll ups – pretty much how my mom has always made them with the addition of spinach, but if you want a recipe, Giada de Laurentiis has one here. I omit the bechamel sauce.
- Marinara sauce recipe here
- Cookies (Mexican wedding cakes, rum balls, cherry drops, ginger snaps
- Gingerbread cake with whipped cream/lemon curd topping
So let’s talk about that gingerbread cake. It’s a Bon Appetit recipe. Think delightfully dense spice cake, but gingery.I add a little more ginger and use blackstrap molasses in lieu of the light kind the recipe calls for. I’ve made it before (with and without the topping), and had gotten a little cocky. I decided to make it for a work holiday function and without paying much attention, used a 8 inch round pan instead of the 8 inch square pan.
Turns out math is important after all! Who knew? (Yeah, you can all stop snickering at me now). I ended up with gingerbread cake soup and had to add on like 10-15 minutes more cooking time.
I opted to use a 9 inch round pan for the one I made for Christmas and other than panicking at realizing I was out of parchment paper (thank you, Joe for calming me down and explaining that wax paper would work just fine), it came out quite nicely.
The topping is whipped cream with a bit of lemon curd folded in. Add a bit of grated lemon zest and you have a really nice dessert.